There’s a fairly long cook time to coax the flavor out without adding funky ingredients BUT if you have an organic chicken broth/stock you like, certainly skip the longer simmer and just add that and skip to the next step!
Chicken Soup, No Noodles Needed
- 2lbs Chicken thighs, with skin and bones (6-8 thighs)
- 2T olive oil, coconut oil, duck fat, whatever cooking fat you like
- 8 cups water, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thick
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 large carrots, sliced (I wash but don’t peel them)
- 3 large zucchini squash, or other squash, cleaned, quarter and chop
- 15oz can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1tsp each: dried marjoram, thyme and pink sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
Heat the oilve oil in a deep pan.
Saute the veggies, including the garlic, until they just start to soften and have a light color on them. Remove the veggies from the pan.
Place the thighs in, skin side down, and cook until lightly browned. Do this in 2 batches if necessary to not crowd the pan.
To the pan with the chicken, add 4 cups water. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
Remove the chicken, and when it’s cool enough to handle, pull all the meat and skin off. Return the bones and skin to the pot, add the remaining water and simmer over low for another hour. (This is the part you would skip if using a prepared broth).
Chop the meat into bite size pieces.
Strain the broth and add the meat, veggies and spices to the pan. Simmer until the veggies are the texture you like, and serve.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 10 g||15 %|
|Saturated Fat 2 g||10 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 32 mg||11 %|
|Sodium 486 mg||20 %|
|Potassium 516 mg||15 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 11 g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||14 %|
|Sugars 6 g|
|Protein 8 g||16 %|
|Vitamin A||112 %|
|Vitamin C||50 %|