No: this is not “breaking news” or anything, this is just my observation from reading various Weight Watchers boards and groups.
Reading Amanda’s post:
- “Hey! I’ve been on the new WW plan for a month and have gained 12 pounds! I am always under my points. What gives?”
- “That’s ok Amanda, just stick with it!”
- “What are you eating?”
- “Maybe you don’t have any weight to lose?”
- Is it that time of the month??
- I eat zero point foods except for 1 meal a day.
- I get 27 points, so my supper is a double bacon cheeseburger with fries and a drink or a 1 pound ribeye with a loaded baked potato and a diet coke. (here’s where someone chimes in with the whole “diet soda is bad for you” routine lol) Sometimes I have a piece of pie or cake to use up my rollover points.
- The rest of the day I eat: 3 dozen eggs and 10 apples, plus a banana or 2 for the potassium, oh and some broccoli and carrots if I’m hungry, maybe 3 pounds of chicken breast.
- I use my unused points on Saturday and I eat 20 pancakes covered in butter and syrup for breakfast, then a bucket of fried chicken for supper to make sure I use them all.
- I’m within my points so why am I not losing??? This plan sucks!
You get the picture.
ANY plan can be abused, and this new WW one has a lot of room to screw up, even if you’re “within the guidelines”.
I think WW’s mistake is thinking that everyone will use common sense. lol.
I predict that there will be an updated plan within the next year to limit “free” foods to 2-3 servings.
Whether there will be an update or not, reading the various WW based discussions, there NEEDS to be.
That still allows for a LOT of food that you don’t have to count, but it does put some emphasis on using common sense and portion control. Which a lot of people seem to need.
For me, this is actually a really easy plan to do and stay low carb, under 50g a day.
I use my 26 points for healthy fats and lean proteins, and the occasional low-carb bread product, and then eat non-starchy veggies to fill my meals out.
I do allow myself 1 Activia light yogurt in the evening as a sweet treat and probiotic. At 2 freestyle points, it’s worth it to me.
I do use full fat mayo, half and half, real cheese, and real butter along with some avocado (not all in the same day), so I’m keeping my calories above 1000, which is surprisingly difficult to do on this version if you don’t use some full fat products.